Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Book Review: Quitter by Jon Acuff

Truth be told, I am at a rut/plateau in my career. I am not where I thought I would be at my age and it can be quite discouraging. Especially when you see others your age (and younger) excelling in their career and in love with their jobs! I (like many others) started out my career in a field that I thought was what I wanted to do for a living, only to learn five years into it that it is not what I want to do for a living. It is not my dream job.

I shared this sentiment with a dear friend of mine and she recommended I read Quitter by Jon Acuff. (Prior to her suggestion, I had never heard of this book or author. However, I have heard of a couple stories or quotes from his blog turned book, Stuff Christians Like.) She knew exactly how I felt and knew that this book would be just as much of an encouragement to me as it was to her. Fortunately, she owned the book and let me borrow it and boy am I glad she did!

Acuff talks about being in a job that you dislike and sometimes want to quit. I am sure many of have experienced this feeling or are going through it right now! He shares his story of how he mastered the technique of quitting (it's pretty funny) and learned that quitting may not always be the solution to the problem. He provides a different perspective on why you should not rush into quitting because having a job allows you to say 'no' to opportunities that aren't right for you. It allows you to be dangerous and not just settle.

An excerpt from his book that really struck a chord for me and will be something I want  will need to reference again in the future is the following:

"I think we do a tremendous disservice to our dream jobs when we talk about pursuing them to the detriment of our day jobs. If a dream is going to take us ten months or ten years to realize, we can't accept heartache or horror forty hours a week. It's the 'platform and the prison' principle. If you're patient and deliberate, your day job can become a wonderful platform from which you can launch your dream job. If you demonize your day job though and rail against it, it becomes a prison you'll try to escape from. And prison breaks rarely go well for anyone.

The truth is, we need to learn to fall in like with a job we don't love because it's actually the best way to set up your dream for success."

Let's just say, this book has given me a new perspective on my current job situation and has motivated me to do my best. I must fall in like my day job to fall in love with my dream job.

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment