Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Book Review: My Beloved World

Got around to finishing this book this past weekend. I was off to a good start but, honestly, towards the end I slacked off a little because that is the point in her life where she is already practicing law. It was a reminder of how becoming a lawyer was definitely not my dream job. In high school, I thought I wanted to be a lawyer, at least my parents always told me that I would make a good lawyer because I always fought til the end of each argument. But after a couple of high school classes of Law Studies and Court Procedures, I realized it was not my cup of tea.

However, during the first half of the book I was really intrigued and inspired by her story. I wouldn't say that I was ever a huge Sonia Sotomayor follower before, so obviously didn't know much of her past. Only knew that she was the first Latina to become a Supreme Court justice. #proudLatina

After reading about her life... her childhood, where she grew up, the loss of her father at a very young age, her chronic disease - She did not let those struggles deter from pursuing her dream. I admire her drive to go to school, get good grades, and achieve what at that time seemed impossible... get into Princeton then go to Yale Law. I mean, wow, what an accomplishment. 

I have a new respect for Sotomayor. She is a prime example, that just because you grow up in lower class and may not have the same opportunities as others doesn't mean you can't dream big. If only we could all think that way and have that same drive to succeed, how different would this world be?

Now, I leave you with a video of an interview with her. Enjoy.


"Every day we make a choice."

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment