Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Book Review: You'll Get Through This.

Lately, with all that has been going on with my health, I've been in need of words of encouragement. One of the first things I did after learning of my diagnosis was stop by the closest Christian bookstore to pick up a book. I didn't have a particular one in mind. Just wanted something I could read that would help me cope with the current news. I did some perusing in the aisles and came across this book by Max Lucado in the new arrivals section.


It's like they knew that I needed this book.

I read the back of the cover and knew that this was what I was looking for. What I was needing to read at the moment.


I am so glad that I made the purchase. It truly put things into perspective. Offered the words I needed to hear and the assurance that God is in control of everything.

Throughout the book he walks through the life of Joseph. From the point he was sold off by his brothers to his rise in authority in Egypt. Joseph endured heart aches and waiting periods in which he could have gotten angry with God, but he didn't. He waited. He knew that God was in control of everything.

Waiting is probably the toughest. That is my struggle. Waiting and knowing that God is in control and things will happen in His timing. This quote from his book really stuck with me.

"To wait, biblically speaking, is not to assume the worse, worry, fret, make demands, or take control. Nor is waiting inactivity. Waiting is a sustained effort to stay focused on God through prayer and belief. To wait is to 'rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him:...not fret' (Ps. 37:3)".

So glad I read this book. Easy read. Finished in a little over a week. Plus, at the end, there are study questions that go with each chapter. Would make for a great Life Group study.

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment