Thursday, May 1, 2014

Career: One Month Anniversary.

Today marks one month in my new role. It has been quite the experience so far. Yes, I was already kinda acting in the role prior to receiving the promotion, but not quite at the same capacity as now. Let's just say, I have a whole new respect for those that have already been doing it for a while. It is seriously a busy job. I mean, don't get me wrong, I totally enjoy what I am doing but it would be nice to catch a breather here and there.

The first couple weeks was packed with training which just threw us all behind. The team went through a restructure, so there have been shifts in people and roles, so we all had to go through training. Seriously, after three hours of training, all you want to do is go home and nap! Needless to say, my consumption of cherry coke has increased by 200%. What used to be considered a treat is now a need for survival.

The majority of my time is spent responding to emails and also having calls. I can easily receive up to 50-60 emails a day or more. I think this was the biggest learning curve for me and probably my least favorite aspect of the job. I am the type of person that like to respond to email immediately and file them away so I have a clear inbox. Yeah, I learned to get over that OCD quickly because it is nearly impossible to manage. Now, I am happy if I end the work day with less than 25 unread emails and like a thousand read emails in my inbox.

Now on the other hand, I love hosting calls with my assignees. I work with international assignees from offices all around the world so I get to hear a ton of accents. Seriously, I just love hearing accents. Some are a little tougher to understand of course. I am sure with time I will be able to pick up easier than now. There are times I find myself closing my eyes and squeezing the headphone on my headset to my ear in hopes to understand what it is said. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Kinda like when you are driving and turn down the radio to look for a street sign? Ever do that? Ha.

Another thing I enjoy with this role, is that each day is never the same. True story. Each assignee situation is different. I am one that gets bored really quickly with tasks that are the same and monotonous. That is not the case here. I am constantly learning and challenged. Sometimes more challenged than I would like, but thats okay. When I see that I was able to help an assignee, it makes up for the stress. This is exactly what I was looking for. A job where at the end of the day, I have a sense of satisfaction that I've made a difference and helped someone.

That is my update for now. Will try to do monthly updates just to see how I've grown in my role.

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment