Saturday, November 12, 2016

Beauty | My Current Makeup Routine

I have always been a fan of makeup. Started wearing makeup (lipstick & mascara) when I was in fifth grade. In middle school I expanded to eye shadow, then eye liner in high school. I don't remember really using foundation in high school because I really didn't need it then. *sigh* I miss those days. Foundation came when I started working full time...

Needless to say, my makeup routine has morphed quite a bit in the past twenty years (EEK). When I was younger I used to...

  • Rock the dark lipstick and the brown outline with nude color lippie. Lord help me. What was I thinking?! 
  • There was a time when I matched the eye shadow/eye liners to my outfit, including bright colors. Pinks, Blues, Purples. You name it, I had it. 
  • The Brows. Oh Lordy, have they transformed themselves as well. I'm fortunate to still have brow hairs now from all the crazy over-plucking I used to do in my high school/college years. 

Then 2009 happened and I discovered YouTube videos and beauty gurus. My makeup collection grew exponentially. All the must-haves/hauls/loots/reviews that I watched convinced me that I needed them. And of course, I had the clear plastic five drawer container to store all my makeup because that was just what you did. Gosh, the money that I dropped in my makeup shopping makes me cringe a little.

Fast forward to present day. All my makeup fits in one little drawer and neutral makeup is my go to.


Yep, there is even a broken NYX shadow kit. #iaintsorry


I have a mix of the more "high-end brand" make up (anything sold in Sephora is high-end to me) and drug store makeup. I don't feel so bad spending a little more on makeup pieces that I know will last me a long time, like blush and eye brow shadow. The other items that I re-purchase more often like fountain and concealer, I stick to drug store.

So here are some of my go-to make up pieces in my current makeup routine.




Origins VitaZing SPF 15 - After cleansing my face with a gentle cleanser, I apply a layer of this moisturizer. I've been using this brand for a couple years now.

Garnier Roll-On - Next I apply this Garnier Eye Tint on the under circle of my eyes and on the lid. I roll some on and then gently massage it in using my ring finger.

NYX Eye Shadow Base - Using the same ring finger, I apply this neutral eyeshadow base on my lids. This helps give my a neutral base to apply shadow and helps the color last all day.

NYX Eye Shadow - For my daily look, I stick to a neutral I look. I really like this NYX shadow kit which has been great to put in my travel bag for the trips we've taken. I also use the Urban Decay Naked original palette and the Too Faced Chocolate Palette.

NYX Gel Liner - While I stick to a neutral shadow, I must have my winged liner. I recently switched over to this NYX gel liner and very pleased so far.

Revlon Colorstay Foundation - This is another staple in my make up routine. I've been using this brand for years now. Great coverage and lasts through the day, in my opinion.

NYX HD Concealer - I have very dark circles and even some veins under my eyes, so a concealer is a must. I've been using this one for the past few months and have been pleased.

Tarte Mineralized Finishing Powder - I brush this powder just under the eye area where I applied concealer to help prevent creasing.

Tarte Brow Shadow - I discovered the art of filling in my brows with shadow a little over a year ago and now won't step out the door without doing my brows. It's just as important as mascara for me now.

Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush in Exposed - I purchased this shade for fall (I use Nars Orgasm for spring/summer) and it's a very soft shade which I prefer.

Tarte Lights Camera Action Mascara - The final touch is mascara. I curl the lashes with a lash curler and apply several coats of mascara. I am currently using a sample of this Tarte mascara and really liking it.

I have other items like bronzers and highlighters but ain't nobody got time for that in the mornings. I save those for evening events.

Any make up that is in your current makeup routine that I should look into? Love suggestions!

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment